Last week my grandparents came over for dinner along with my cousin for Israel (one of my all-time favorite people) and her dad. Although Richie keeps telling me it's time to stop making big dinners for people as I'm always in pain after too much kitchen time, it was totally worth it. I made a ton and it lasted us through the weekend as a cold pasta salad kinda thing. I had a ton of fresh local veggie I'd ordered from Fresh Direct that needed cooking, so threw them in with some canned cannellinis and fresh fava beans (it was my first run at preparing favas). I prepared it with some garlic greens from Satur Farms and some whole wheat garlic bread I made from a loaf from a Hudson Valley Bakery. Superhealthy and totally delicious, I'll definitely be recreating this one on a regular basis!
Here's what I did:
1 bag of Bionaturae organic, whole wheat chiocciole
1 bag of Bionaturae organic, whole wheat gobbetti
fresh fava beans in the pod (peeled, steamed, and prepped)
1 can of cannellinis (drained and rinsed of course)
2 yellow squash
3 cloves chopped garlic
- Boil enough water to cook the pasta.
- While it's boiling, in a separate large pan saute the onion and garlic in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- When they start to soften add the squash and zucchini.
- Cook until all the vegetables are soft.
- Cook the pasta in the water apx. 10-12 minutes.
- Add the beans to the veggies and cook together.
- When the pasta is done, strain it and add it to the veggies.
- Mix and cook together for a few minutes.
- Serve immediately (and save the rest for leftovers!)