The other afternoon, it was too cold to run out to the market with the baby, so dinner turned into a: whatever I can concoct from what's in my fridge. Luckily, this fabulous split pea soup came about and it's definitely making it on my list of go to's.
Here's how I did it:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped vidalia onion
- 4 chopped carrots
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 cup yellow split peas
- 1 carton of no chicken stock
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- In a large pot heat the olive oil over med/high heat.
- Saute the onion and carrot until they start to soften (5-10 min).
- Add the garlic, salt, and turmeric.
- Cook together for 1-2 min
- Add the split peas and the stock.
- Bring to a boil and then down to a rolling simmer.
- Cook for 45 min until the split peas start to dissolve adding water as needed. Cook until desired consistency (peas will dissolve more and more over time and you can add as much water as you like.
- Serve with some garlic bread or even better garlic fried brown rice!
Btw, I'm making it again tonight!