We got out there around 5p and I headed straight to the market to pick up some ingredients to make an easy dinner. Earlier in the week I'd seen Ina making a bolognese on tv and it inspired me to figure out a vegan version.
With this pregnancy I'm always looking for more ways to get healthy protein into my diet and this was a perfect way to get some into an otherwise totally veggie and grain dinner.
Richie and Avi both loved it and I made enough to last us through the weekend with leftovers. I served it with some steamed broccoli dressed in garlic oil and some fresh bread from Eli's. It was total comfort food the healthy way:) This recipe'll definitely be a regular in my house from now on!
Here's how I did it:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 Field Roast Italian Sausages broken into small pieces (with your hands)
1 medium onion chopped
5 cloves garlic chopped
pinch of sea salt
1 can (I buy these in a box, check me out here for bpa issues in canned goods) diced tomatoes
1 small can (apx 5 tablespoons) tomato paste
1 cup red wine (I used a cabernet cause that was what we had in the refrigerator, but use whatever you'd like to drink)
1 package of whole wheat spaghetti
- In a large saute pan heat the olive oil on med/high heat and saute the onions and garlic with the salt until they begin to soften.
- Add the sausage and cook until it begins to brown (I like mine pretty brown, but this'll depend on your tastes how brown you like it).
- Meanwhile start to boil the water for the pasta.
- Add the tomatoes and paste and mix until incorporated.
- Add the wine and mix again them bring the sauce to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
- While this cooks, add the pasta to it's boiling water and cook according to package directions.
- When the pasta is cooked and drained, add it to the sauce and cook the together for 5-7 minutes to let the flavors absorb.
- Serve immediately.