Last week we had a last minute visit from my friend Erika. She came by after work and it was a beautiful day. I convinced her to stay for dinner before I'd planned what I was going to cook, so had to conjure something good up.
I decided on an updated take on an old favorite: franks 'n beans. It was easy and comfy and a one pot wonder. I served it with some garlic bread and voila! Quicky dinner in a bowl.
Here's how I did it:
1 yellow onion chopped
2 cloves of chopped garlic
1 can aduki beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can dark kidney beans
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste
1 carton of Imagine Creamy Tomato Soup
1 package of Smart Dogs cut into bite sized pieces
- In a large soup pot saute the onions in the olive oil with 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Once they are translucent add the garlic and dogs and cook until the dogs start to brown.
- Add the tomato soup and 1-2 cups of water depending on how soupy you like it (you can also add the water later in the cooking process).
- Add the beans and stir everything together.
- Bring to a boil then lower to a rolling simmer.
- Cook for 45min up to the time you're ready to eat. The longer it cooks the more it'll thicken.
- Serve it hot in bowls with chunky garlic bread from peasant or country bread.