One of my readers, Gloria of Glo's Kitchen, asked me to post my recipe for the mushroom gravy I made on Thanksgiving. It's a supersimple recipe and totally perfect for Thanksgiving or so many other dinners. It's a great sauce for pasta, delicious over Gardein Chick'n Scallopini, or just over some simple mashed potatoes.
Here's how I do it:
1 package of organic Portobello mushrooms
1 package of organic Shitake mushrooms
1 package of organic White Button or Cremini mushrooms
Earth Balance Organic Buttery Spread
Organic Whole Wheat Flour
Unrefined Sea Salt
- Chop all of the mushrooms into a small/medium dice.
- Heat a large skillet over med/high heat.
- Melt 2-3 tablespoons of Earth Balance.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and cook down until most of the water is out of them and they are totally wilted.
- Add apx 1-2 cups of No Chicken Broth and cook out until it is reduced to half.
- Add 1/4 cup of whole wheat flour and cook for another 10 minutes until it thickens nicely. Use your discretion here. If you think you need a bit more flour, add it, if you need a bit more broth, add it. Just remember the flour must be well cooked.
- Serve it hot!