Last week I was in a cooking mood, but not a shopping mood. I was way too lazy to leave the house for groceries, but was craving a healthy, home cooked meal. I whipped up this quinoa dish pretty easily and quickly and it was totally a perfect weeknight dinner. I served it with hummus, collard greens with pine nuts and currants, and some whole wheat pita. Yum!
Here's how I did it:
(for the squash)
2 acorn squashes
Earth Balance to brush/coat the squash
sprinkle of maple sugar
sprinkle of cinnamon
(for the quinoa)
1 cup quinoa
1 1/2 cups No Chicken Broth
1/2 small onion chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
pinch of sea salt
small pinch of saffron
1 teaspoon turneric
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the squashes in half and scoop out the seeds.
- On the flesh side of the squash, brush on a thin layer of Earth Balance, then leave a mini pad in the bowl of the squash.
- Sprinkle with maple sugar and cinnamon.
- Bake for 40min or until slightly browned on top.
- While that cooks, begin to prepare the quinoa.
- In a pot saute the onion in the olive oil with the salt until it's translucent.
- Then add the spices and fry for 1 min.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Then add the quinoa and lower to a simmer and cover the pot.
- Let it steep for 20 minutes.
- Fluff and serve in the squashes.