Now that I am in New Hampshire, I am trying to take advantage of all the amazing opportunities up here. One of which is a farm share from a very cute farm in Vermont called Cedar Circle. Every week I go to pick up my wonderful bag full of produce. It is different each week , except for the basics like lettuce, cilantro, and basil, which I am in love with! A couple weeks ago I had picked up my farm share and headed to CT for the weekend. I didn't want the super fresh food to go to waste so I brought it along with me and was determined to make a healthy delicious lunch! Eve had suggested on my ride home, which was 3.5 hrs so many calls we're made in this span of time, that we go to my absolute favorite place, which doesn't exist in NH: Le Pain Quotidien. I had to respectfully decline but told her that I was going to make a wonderful lunch.
When I got home I was inspired by the Le Pain idea and created a quinoa salad and a pesto tartine. It was delicious, healthy, and satisfying! Here is the recipe:
This will make enough for 4-6 people
- 1 head of lettuce
- 2 cups quinoa I prefer red
- kohlrabi or broccoli with stems
- Really whatever veggies you like
- 1 lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Your favorite bread I used Le Pain's sprouted whole wheat
- Thinly sliced tomato
- Pesto - I made my own but you can do store bought as well
- Large handful of green herb - you can use any one or a combination of parsley, basil, cilantro, sage, or oregano fresh though
- 1/2 cup nuts can be one or more of the following:
- Walnuts, pine nuts, almonds
- 3-4 Garlic scapes or 1 large tbs chopped garlic
- Salt and pepper
Blend in a food processor and drizzle in 1/2 cup olive oil while running should become a smooth paste.
Enjoy this lovely summer lunch or dinner!