Since I got my Vitamix (yay!) I've been making so many new things that I couldn't have (as well) before and one of my family's favorites is all of the different nut mylks I've been making. Almond, cashew, brazilian, walnut. All yum!
My sister, Liza, asked me this morning for the recipe, so I figured I should probably share it with you all!
Here's how I make them:
- 1 cup of nuts (soaked overnight in a glass jar or glass or bowl covered with a breathable cloth like a cheese cloth)
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 2-4 dates (depending on how sweet you like it)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1-1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- Rinse the soaked nuts and place them in the Vitamix.
- Pit and add the dates.
- Add the cinnamon and vanilla if desired.
- Add the water.
- Blend on high for 2-3 minutes until totally smooth.
- Place the nut milk bag in a large beaker or jug with the top of the bag flipped over the top to secure it.
- Pour the blended nuts into the bag and close up the top.
- Squeeze down the bag to "milk" it and strain through the liquid. Keep doing this until all the liquid is released.
- And voila! Fresh nut mylk.
It's like nothing else. Fresh. Bright. Delicious.
Oh, and remember to store it in glass, it's safest and preserves the freshness best!