There's so much talk about flax health that it's already old news! That said, when I suggest adding more of it to the diet of my clients they often look at me confused and skeptic. Everyone kinda knows it's good for you, but how to get it into their diets is an entirely different issue.
I figured I'd break it down quickly and hope to motivate some of you to flax it up a bit and creep your way closer to optimal health!
- Omega 3's- it's chock full of them- Read: Heart Health
- Dietary fiber- it'll move things along- Read: Lower Cholesterol
- Prebiotic- it'll create a good environment for the colonization of good bacteria, a.k.a. probiotics- Read: Digestive and Immune Health
Since you're now, obviously, convinced, here are a few ways to incorporate it into your daily diet (FYI, you should grind the seeds for more easy digestibility...you can also buy it pre-milled and it's often called flax meal. Oh also, keep it in the fridge so it doesn't go rancid...rancid oil/seeds is a big no no.)
- Sprinkle some on top of your morning oatmeal or cereal
- Add it to smoothies
- Bake it into your desserts, breads, muffins
- Sprinkle it on top of fruit as breakfast or dessert
- Sprinkle it on top of your salad or stir-fry
- Use it as an egg substitute in your baking
Now get to it! Flax up your day and feel the benefits in no time!