A week or so ago, Richie invited a friend for dinner and in the craziness of my day, I figured rice and beans would be the easiest thing to prepare (thanks to my trusty VitaClays!). Since I make some version of rice and beans oh so often, I wanted to jazz the dinner up a bit and heighten the flavors.
I decided to make these Jamaican peas since they're Richie's fave, but I wanted to try out a new rice. I cooked up this amazing combination of brown rice and turmeric and raisins and cinnamon and coconut milk and dried coconut flakes. It was superflavorful, a hit with the kids, and the perfect combination with the rich Jamaican peas.
Here's how I did it:
- 1 cup of short grain brown rice soaked for 4-6 hours and rinsed
- 1 can of organic coconut milk
- 1 can of water
- 1/2 cup of raisins (you can eyeball this and decide what the right amount is for you)
- 1/2 cup dried coconut flakes (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- Put all the ingredients in the Vitaclay and put it on the brown rice setting.
- Otherwise, put all the ingredients into a pot, boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, cook for 50 minutes.